It's interesting the way patterns seem to work in life.
first felt the pull to move to the coast, I took a retail position to
get me here, so that I would be local when looking for work in my career
field. I found a couple of roommates, who turned out to be alcoholics
and potheads. I found new roommates and moved, just in time to get hired
back into my chosen field.
When it came time to start school, I
ended up having to move again. Again, I happened to land just the right
roommate - for the time - who would be willing to work with me with my
changing financial situation as my school responsibilities became more
demanding and took me away from work.
Now, as I'm seeking work
again (this time appropriate to my now completed level of education),
I'm also moving again. I finish moving into my friend's apartment next
weekend (taking some smaller stuff over here and there in the meantime,
and her parents are letting me use their spare bedroom for bigger things
like my bed and bookshelf). I had a job interview today that seems
promising. It's basically a case manager position. They get referrals
from DSS of families that are in danger of having the children removed,
and the company tries to develop plans, resources, etc. to help the
parents learn new skills to prevent that from happening. The pay would
be $31,500/year, plus benefits and mileage/cellphone reimbursements.
While that's a good deal lower than a lot of jobs that are Masters
level, it's still at least $11,000 more a year I currently make, so I'm
now wondering if I got the job, if it would be enough to quit my current
part-time job and still be able to afford my own apartment (probably in
the same complex that my friend is in), with all the other bills I
Honestly, the job makes me a little nervous too. I haven't
done very much work with parents, only the kids. And it will mean home
visits in quite shady neighborhoods, and running into drug use, etc. I
understand that as a social worker I have to deal with some sketchy
people, but I don't want to worry about my safety in doing so, you know?
Guess we'll see what happens next. They said they'd have a decision by Wednesday.
My Grandfather, the Diarist
18 hours ago