Sunday, December 9, 2018

A Pagan Advent

Even though I identify at this point as Unitarian Universalist Pagan, with minimal Christian influence, I still enjoy the season of Advent and Christmas.

I think the reason it still appeals to me so much is because with winter, Depression sets in more strongly. Seasonal Affective Disorder  is in full force, with the sunlight being shorter and the weather being more melancholy. The music is generally positive and is a good symbol for awaiting the coming sunlight, even if it is referring to a demigod.

Advent is, of course, a Christian period of time leading up to Christmas, a Christian holiday. I still celebrate Christmas, although it is primarily cultural and my "family" holiday, whereas Yule has the more spiritual significance for me. However, Advent can be easily adapted as a time to prepare for the light of Yule. Currently, I still have the readings printed out from my days as a Gnostic, as well as readings from the Unitarian Universalist Christian Fellowship, which incorporates several different traditions - although I haven't been able to read them as much this year as I would like, due to my schedule. One thing I am considering for next year is making my own Advent weekly rituals incorporating common Yule themes and my chosen patrons.

Also, I'm making it a goal to write in this blog more often. I start a new job soon which I believe will make work/life balance much more feasible, and there are many things I want to start doing to practice balance.

No comments: