Monday, August 2, 2010

Anne Rice asks us, 'What does it mean to be Christian anyway?'

Anne Rice asks us, 'What does it mean to be Christian anyway?'


As some may know, recently famed author Anne Rice renounced her Christian faith because she could no longer tolerate their views concerning womens' rights, LGBT issues, birth control, etc. The mistake she(and many others) makes, is taking the denomination she was part of(Roman Catholicism) and lumping all Christians in that category. There are many mainline/liberal denominations that are very much on the liberal end of many social issues. Here is an article my denomination, the United Church of Christ, published on the matter.

2 comments:

Angel said...

I wish I could say I'm sorry to hear this. Buuuuuut..... I've got three reasons why I'm celebrating right now:

1) Her vampire series books kick ass. I collect her first editions. I have quite the enviable collection.

2) I cried when I heard of her new faith because I knew that she'd give up writing her vamp series. I was right. And she wrote a book about her conversion. UGH!! I saw it on a bookshelf last time I was at the library and cringed.

3) Maybe now she can take her own advice in her book "Memnoch the Devil" and realized that the good isn't always so good and the bad is sometimes far worse and confusing than we'd ever imagine.

If you haven't read Memnoch I'm sure that confused you. I highly recommend running out and finding it first opportunity you have. It will rock your world! Anne has a firm grasp on how to write about all the shades of gray in relation to life, death, and the extraordinarily long lives of her vamp characters.

Not to ruin it for you but: Lestat meets the Devil. And mayhem ensues. Or is it what God really wanted all along???? hmm...

Getting back to reality and edging away from her fiction success- I do understand your(and the UCC's) discomfort with her statement. Let's just pray she doesn't run in the opposite direction and announce herself to be an atheist.

Moderation does exist. Is is possible. It is attainable.

Angel said...

PS. Memnoch can most definitely be read with a gnostic eye and appreciated, especially since the outcome is such a contortionist act in morality and Lestat ends up such a raving lunatic from the experience. (I say that in a good way. I don't think vamps are meant to be gnostic. At least not in Anne's world.)